Sunday, August 20, 2006

 

Mozilla Delays Firefox 2.0 slightly, chooses target ship date

According to this recent articel, Mozilla Delays Firefox 2.0 - Softpedia - Mozilla is shooting for an October 24, 2006 release date for Firefox 2.0.

That is the first specific date I have heard for the new version. I think the most definite one I heard before was Fall 2006. Sounds like they will make it.

It sounds like it is tentative, so I am not going to write it on my wall calendar with a red pen.

Sounds like the actual ship date will at least be in the same ballpark and the October 24 date might turn out to be the real one.

Looks like the release dates for major upcoming software is falling into line like this:

1. Mozilla Firefox 2.0 - October 2006
2. Microsoft Vista - January 2007
3. Apple Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - April 2007

I think Firefox is planning a Firefox 2.1 to come out sometime in 2007, sort of completing the cycle that begins in the latter part of this year.

I doubt we will see updated operating systems from Apple and Microsoft again for several more years, however. Unless Microsoft surprises everyone by coming out with a MS Linux distro sometime after Vista ships.

Firefox seems to be evolving faster than the major operating systems and all the other major browsers combined.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Hopefully, someday I will get this page to validate!